What is a Breast Milk bath?
There are many things that Breast milk can do to a mother fraught with child rearing. One of those things that mothers should implement today is a Breast Milk Bath for babies. A Breast Milk bath is simply a mixture of breast milk and the baby’s bathing water which is eventually used to soak the baby in a bathtub and clean the infant the usual way. The milk bath contains diluted breast milk which has a couple of notable benefits to the baby’s skin. As a matter of fact, it can be used to treat a couple of baby’s skin conditions and other conditions including cradle cap, psoriasis, eczema and some minor cuts.
What are some of the benefits of Milk bath baby?
During child rearing, it’s a full responsibility of the mother to make sure the baby has everything it takes to grow healthy. Breast milk has a couple of antibodies and nutrients that experts think have countless benefits to the child’s skin. The bath usually provides nourishment to the baby. The most surprising thing is that many mothers have never known that they can use breast milk in another way rather than feeding the kid. The fact is that the nutritional value of this milk is perfect for bathing the kid as well. Here are some of the notable benefits of breast milk bath for babies.
It’s not all the people that may consider milk bath but with all the benefits stated below, you have to take a second thought.
- It moisturizes the skin-This is the first and the most influential reason why many mothers are today considering a milk bath baby. The milk contains fatty acids which work as a barrier on the skin and lock in the moisture to reduce chances of skin dryness.
- Protects the skin against pathogens- As stated earlier breast milk contains antibodies that can protect the skin and the body against pathogens. The antibodies work to prevent pathogenic invasion to the body. This can be an issue especially when there are some minor cuts on the baby’s skin.
- Repair skin damages-Breast Milk contains linolenic acid which works the best to initiate quick skin repair. It also has two variants known as Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids which migrate to the damaged are and help the skin heal.
- Initiates quick healing of small wounds-The reality of the matter is that children are very active creatures and they are likely to get small Bruises and wounds. The fatty acids found in breast milk intervene and eventually helps the wound.
- It soothes diaper rush-a Milk Bath baby soothes diaper rash and eczema. This is actually supported by a recent study that revealed that Breast Milk can be used as a safe topical remedy for curing diaper rash.
How to make a Breast Milk Bath
If you have decided to start using breast milk to bath your baby, then you have to follow the below instructions. The instructions are very simple so you don’t have to worry. The whole process is actually as easy as it sounds.
- Get a bag of milk or two of breast milk from the Freezer or anywhere else where you can get it. Alternatively, you can get freshly expressed breast milk.
- Now fill the tub with warm water and add the milk. If you have to use frozen breast milk, then you first of all have to thaw it before you add it to the tab. If it’s hot and you want to bath your baby with cold water, the best thing is to use the thawed milk to keep the water slightly warmer.
- Let the baby sit in the tub-It’s now very easy to perform the next action. You can bath the child just the normal way you usually do. Just dribble water all over the child’s body and now rub it all over using your hands. If the baby has rashes, then you pour more mixture on the affected areas. This will ensure that the rashes get more of it.
- Let the baby sit for some time-To get more benefits, you should make sure the baby sits in the water for about 15 minutes. If its summer and the climate is conducive, then you can allow the baby to sit further.
- After you are convinced that the skin has got enough, the next thing to do is to take the baby out of the bath tub and eventually pat dry her with a fresh towel.
- After the bath, it’s also very advisable to use a baby-safe moisturizer to lock the moisture in the skin.
Most of the mothers takes child rearing as a very overwhelming task but with the right information, the whole motherhood can be a walk in the park. If you are opting for Milk bath baby, then am sure you may be still having questions about the same. Here are some of the most common questions and answers.
How much Breast Milk should I use to make milk bath baby?
For the whole process to be effective, you have to take time and measure the right amount of milk depending on the water you are choosing for the baby bath. For a normal baby birth, it’s a nice thing to use 180 to 300 ml of Breast Milk. Feel free to increase the amount of milk if you have to use more bath.
Can I use old breast milk for a Breast Milk Bath?
Yes but if it smells bad or has curdled, then you shouldn’t use it. I don’t see any harm with using old and expired milk for Milk Bath. Frozen milk has a longer lifespan as compared to refrigerated milk.
For efficiency, you should repeat the process of milk bath at least three times a week.