Jock itch is a fungal infection which affects individuals who are active in sports due to severe sweating. This happens because the fungus flourishes in the moist skin when a person wears tight-fitting clothes. It can also be caused due to friction/abrasion, poor hygiene, diabetes, obesity, sharing towels from an already infected person, using other individual’s sports materials or rubbing the skin on skin. Jock itch is also highly contagious and can transmit easily from the infected person to other individuals.
Signs and Symptoms of Jock Itch:
The individuals who are affected with jock itch usually have itchiness, pus-filled blisters, flaking, peeling and redness of the skin in the groin, buttocks, genitals and inner thigh area.
Diagnosis of Jock itch:
The doctor can diagnose jock itch through a physical examination and by viewing the patches of your itchy skin. Sometimes, he may also recommend doing other tests, based on the severity of the condition. As part of the confirmatory test, your doctor may scrape a small flaky skin to examine under the microscope. If he suspects, then he may send it to a laboratory for further analysis.
Treatment depends upon the type of infection caused. Normally jock itch is treated with over-the-counter (OTC) medicines in the form of topical creams. Sometimes, due to the severity of the condition, your doctor may prescribe medications to take orally to ease the symptoms. The medicine course should be completed as per the advice of your doctor. Even if you feel the symptoms are reduced, DO NOT stop taking the medicines until your doctor’s suggestions.
You can buy your pills, ointments or creams from any trusted online medicine store and avail an amazing medicine discount. You can click on the medicine search icon and choose the medicines you need or you can upload the prescription directly and get the medicines delivered at your doorstep.
Make sure to keep the affected area clean and dry before applying antifungal ointment, sprays and powders. Read the instructions on the label carefully and follow it accordingly.
Can jock itch be prevented?
Yes! You can prevent the jock itch infection. Follow the below-mentioned tips to avoid it:
- Always keep the infected or itchy area neat and clean. After bath, swimming, sports and activities, try to dry off the area completely.
- Don’t share towels from the infected persons
- Avoid sharing clothes
- Don’t wear tight-fitting clothes, give space for the skin to breath
- Change the undergarments every day
- Expose the affected area to air as much as possible
- Ask your doctor about how long you need to use the medicine to prevent relapses
- Use powders, corn starch to treat the infected skin
- Bath without using soap as the chemicals in the soap can irritate the affected skin
- Maintain your weight if the jock itch is caused by rubbing of skin on skin in the inner thighs
- Eat a well-balanced diet and avoid junk foods
- Take a shower every day
- Treat foot infection immediately to avoid recurrence of the jock itch.
A careful examination is required to treat Jock itch as the symptoms may be similar to various other diseases as well. Proper diagnosis and treatment are required to minimize the spread to other parts of the body. Following strict medication and the use of antifungal creams can resolve the issue. If your doctor prescribes you any medication, order them online from the best online pharmacy store in India.